YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
- Free counseling that helps you assess your options -including choosing to parent your child.
- Access prenatal care and to deliver in the state where you live.
- Sign relinquishment papers ONLY after you have delivered.
- Receive financial help in states where it is legal.
- Decide not to proceed with the adoption even if you have been given financial support.
- Choose the family who will raise your child.
- Decide if you want an open adoption and specify the amount of open contact you have with your child while he/she is growing up.
- Place your child with a family in the state where you live.
- Have your child placed immediately with the family you choose.
- Select a family with a completed home study and positive background checks.
YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING LEGAL RIGHTS DURING THE ADOPTION PROCESS:
- Your own adoption attorney, paid for by the adoptive family.
- Work with a qualified adoption professional. Make sure that you are working with an agency that is regulated by the state.
- Revoke your consent within the legally allowed time frame.
- Know if there is a medical emergency concerning your child.
- Obtain copies of any paperwork you sign.
YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING RIGHTS DURING THE BIRTHING PROCESS
- Choose your child’s name and receive a copy of the original birth certificate.
- Spend as much or as little time as you want with your child.
- Request your child be placed in temporary care if you need more time to think about your options.
- Make your decision without pressure from family, professional or hospital staff.
You have the right to be informed about the impact of adoption on yourself and your child. You are also entitled to and to counseling and support. If you would like to talk to a counselor or an attorney about adoption, please call 1-800-745-2198.